Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT Guwahati) is an autonomous institute and currently one of the top institutes in the country. The PhD programme offered by IIT Guwahati is based completely on the research aspects. The vacancies for seat allotment are limited every year because the selected candidates will undergo enhancement in their depth and breadth based on their academics and will provide a focused environment to the selected candidates for their research. The courses aim to develop the student to become experts in the field and contribute to it. The college has designed its curriculum and the program inspired by the top universities in the world to produce maximum efficiency and excellence from the student.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Guwahati PhD Programmes 2023
- Eligibility criteria for Full-Time PhD Programmes
- The below-mentioned criteria are minimum requirements issued by the institute and any Department/Centre/School operating through their DRC/CRC/SRC can place a higher eligibility/short-listing criteria than what is mentioned for the intuition.
|Qualifying Degree||Required performance in the qualifying degree for General/OBC (Non-Creamy Layer(NCL)) category students||Qualification through national level examination requirements|
|M.Tech./M.E./M.D. or equivalent||60% marks or 6.00 CGPA when the maximum CGPA is 10.00||Nil|
|M.Sc./MBA/M.A./M.B.B.S. or equivalent||60% marks or 6.00 CGPA when the maximum CGPA is 10.00||Qualified GATE/ CSIR/ UGC/NET/ICAR/ICMR/ DST-INSPIRE Fellowship|
|B.E./B.Tech. or equivalent||70% marks or 7.00 CGPA on a 10-point scale||Qualified GATE/CSIR/ UGC NET/ICAR/DST-INSPIRE Fellowship|
- Candidates currently in their final year of their respective programmes expecting to complete their qualifying exam before the application are eligible to apply. For short-listing purposes, the performance till the preceding semester will be considered, provided that they complete their qualifying examination and provide validation such as mark lists/certificate for verification.
- Candidates belonging to the SC/ST/PWD categories are provided with a relaxation of 5% or .5 in CGPA for their qualifying examination.
- The performance of the candidates’ qualifying degree is calculated by aggregating all the marks obtained according to the weightage mentioned by the respective university.
- The requirement of qualification in qualifying exams like the GATE/nation exam is waived for the following categories:
- Students currently registered in Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CTFIs) pursuing degrees such as B.Tech/B.E/Integrated M.Sc./ Integrated M.Tech (or any other programme lasting a minimum of four years, and the admission should be based on JEE score) who have completed equal to or more than 6 semesters and maintain a CGPA of 8.00 or above. These students must maintain a CGPA of 8.00 or above at the time of graduation.
- Graduates of CFTIS having a final CGPA of 8.00 and above.
- Graduates of M.A. or M.Sc programmes from IIT with 8.00 CGPA or above.
- Candidates with an M.B.B.S degree with 60% marks will be considered equivalent to M.Tech holders for purpose of admission to the PhD programme in Mechanical Engineering.
- Eligibility Criteria for admission to Part-Time and Sponsored (full-time)PhD programmes
- Only employees of Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) or Government departments or Research and Development Organisations or Private Industries are eligible for admission to the programme.
|Qualifications||Work Experience (Post Qualification)|
|M.E./M.Tech./M.S.(R)/M.D. or Equivalent||Nil|
|B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.A./M.B.A./MBBS or equivalent, from CFTIs/Central Universities||1 Year|
|B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.A./M.B.A./MBBS or equivalent, and working in IIT Guwahati* (Project or Regular)* Through proper channel||1 Year|
|B.E./B.Tech./M.Sc./M.A./MBA/MBBS or equivalent degree, from institutions other than institutes such as CFTIs/Central Universities||2 Years|
- The minimum qualification for such candidates is the same as that of the full-time candidates.
- For par-time candidates outside NCR (or residing at a distance of more than 50 kilometres) is liable for a minimum residency of 6 months. The period may vary according to the Centre/School/Department criteria.
Two different admission procedures are followed for admitting candidates into IIT Guwahati PhD programmes
- Rolling Admission: This admission procedure is for candidates who have a clear vision of the field they want to work in. The selected candidates are required to work with the faculty members of the particular subject, and hence, the candidates must get permission from the faculty.
- Regular Admission: Regular admission occurs multiple times a year; one in February and April and the other in September and November. The institution puts out advertisements accepting admission, and the shortlisted candidates (based on of their academic track record) will have to clear a written test and a personal interview. Candidates are required to join within 4 weeks of admission given special permission.
- The candidate is required to visit the official website of IIT-Guwahati.
- Click on the desired course option the candidate wishes to pursue.
- There will be an option to “apply online”. Candidates can click on that to go to the application portal.
- Register as a “new user” and fill in all the necessary personal, academic, communication details required.
- The candidate can review the details and click for submission.
- The candidates have to provide a scanned copy of the eligibility certificate. The provisional certificate, degree certificate, and the certificate from the Head of the Department available on the GOAPS website constitute the eligibility certificate.
- The candidate may also have to provide a copy (scanned) of the PWD certificate, if applicable.
- If the candidate suffers from dyslexia, the candidate is supposed to provide a digital copy of the dyslexic certificate in PDF format.
- The scanned copy of the photograph should be between 240×320 and 480×640 pixels and should be in JPEG format.
- The scanned copy of the signature should be between 80×280 and 160×560 pixels and should be in JPEF format.
The payment process is followed by the submission of details. Applicants will have to pay Rs. 300/- with the application submission. Candidates have to pay the full amount for the completion of the application form and its submission. Candidates belonging to SC/ST/PWD categories and women candidates are liable to pay only Rs. 150/- as application fee.
Duration of the programme
- The minimum period of registration required for students holding M.Tech or equivalent degrees is 2 years.
- The minimum period of registration required for students holding B. Tech or equivalent degrees is 3 years.
- Candidates are allowed a maximum of 7 years to submit their thesis.